Don's Crayfish is a good crayfish pattern, especially on the Eleven Point River.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||TMC 5263 Size 8-12.|
|Pinchers:||Red Fox Squirrel Tail.|
|Weight:||Lead wire appropriate for hook size.|
|Body:||Dark colord yarn - black or brown.|
|Carapace:||Pheasant tail or Turkey tail fibers.|
|Hackle:||Brown or Brown Furnace|
|Expoxy:||Two part clear (UV glue can be substituted).|
- Start the thread and lay a layer of thread over the lead. Super glue the thread and lead.
- Wind the thread to a point just behind the lead towards the rear of the hook.
- Cut a width of turkey or pheasant tail fibers the width of the gap. It helps if the fibers have been previously sprayed with a clear lacquer which will bind them together.
- Tie in the turkey or pheasant fibers, shiny side down, at the rear of the hook.
- Cut a clump of hair from the tail of a fox squirrel about the size of a pencil. Clean out the small hairs and then even the ends with a hair stacker.
- Tie the clump on at the end of the hook. Using a bobbin, separate the clump into two equal parts. Bundle wrap each part so that you have two pinchers.
- Tie in the hackle by the tip with the dull side facing towards the rear. Move the thread back to the eye of the hook and tie in the yarn body material. Wrap over the yarn to the rear of the hook. Bring the thread back to behind the eye.
- Wrap the yarn body material forward and tie off behind the eye. Fold the fibers of the hackle into a "V" with dull side to dull side. Wrap the hackle forward (with your fingers, comb the fibers towards the rear as your wrap) and tie off behind the eye.
- Pull the turkey or pheasant tail fibers forward over the fly and tie off. Whip finish.
- Mix an amount of epoxy and lay a film over the carapace - turkey or pheasant fibers - and head. Allow to dry overnight. (A drying wheel really works well to keep the epoxy on top of the fly.)
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
email Tom at Tom@thargrove.com
Phone - 314.968.4223
email Craig at Craig@thargrove.com
© 2015 All rights reserved