As the hot weather of summer approaches and the fish become lethargic in the hot water lakes and streams, it is a great time to break out the Gar Fly and go after those sharp tooth critters. This pattern is a favorite of our friend at Hargrove's, Jim Saraceno. Try it and I think you will like it.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Any 4XL or 5XL Streamer Hook, Size 2-6.|
|Thread:||Black Mono 3/0.|
|Weight:||Black Cone Head Bead.|
|Tail:||One-half Inch Nylon Rope.|
- Cut off the barb of the hook. Slide the cone head onto the hook. Mount the hook in the vise.
- Lay a thread base down the shank of the hook finishing with the thread behind the cone. Coat the hook with Super Glue.
- Tie on an eight piece of the nylon rope. Firmly secure the rope to the hook shank. Finish with the thread at the eye.
- Tie on a piece of the chenille to the bend. Bring the thread back to the eye.
- Wrap the chenille forward and tie off behind the eye.
- Put a layer of super glue or head cement on the thread and whip-finish behind the eye.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved