Landon Mayers Mini-Leech
The Mini-Leech is a great pattern when fishing a small leech pattern. It has a lot of movement in the water and can be tied with or without a bead. Probably best tied on a size 16 hook, but can be tied on other sizes. This pattern can be tied in a variety of colors to include olive, rusty-brown, black, purple, gray or others. Fish usually hit this pattern with a hard strike so a little heaver leader is often used.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 125 or Tiemco 2488 Size 16||Thread:||Color of pine squirrel 8/0 or smaller|
|Weight:||Tungsten bead to hook size (optional).|
|Body:||Pine Squirrel strip.|
|Tag:||Krystal Flash color of the pine squirrel.|
|Collar:||Ostrich Herl color of the pine squirrel.|
- Bend down the barb and mount the hook in the vice.
- Starting behind the eye, lay a base of thread down the shank and return the thread to a point above the hook point.
- Capture a piece of the Krystal flash on top of the hook shank and secure to below the hook bend. Return the thread to above the hook point.
- Wrap the Krystal Flash around the shank forming a tag. Tie off the Krystal Flash and clip.
- Cut an arrow in the end of the pine squirrel strip and attach it to the top of the hook shank starting at a point above the hook point. (Be sure the pine squirrel fibers lay towards the back of the hook.)
- Tie on a Ostrich herl and lay a smooth base of thread from the pine squirrel to the eye of the hook.
- Wrap the Ostrich herl forward forming a collar.
- Tie off the Ostrich herl and clip.
- Whip-finish and apply a dab of head cement.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved